VITA – Volunteer Income Tax Assistance
CAPK VITA staff and volunteers provide year-round tax preparation and e-filing for low to medium-income individuals and families at NO-COST. All VITA services are offered by trained, IRS-certified staff and volunteers to maximize refunds and take advantage of the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC).
Since its launch in 2006, when staff and volunteers completed a modest 129 returns for Tax Year 2005, CAPK’s VITA program has grown dramatically. We completed 4,661 returns in 2021 – bringing back more than $9 million in taxes to residents and the Kern County economy.
CAPK VITA staff can currently assist taxpayers with the following:
- Tax preparation for tax years 2016-2021
- ITIN applications and renewals
- Recovering Economic Impact Payments 1-3, known as stimulus payments
- Claiming Child Tax Credits and Earned Income Credit (for those eligible)
- Understanding and responding to letters issued from the Internal Revenue Service and/or Franchise Tax Board
Office Hours are:
- Monday-Friday 8am – 4:30pm
- Closed: Saturday & Sunday
Appointments can be made by calling (661) 834-1724 Monday-Friday; between the hours of 8:15am-4:15pm.
Walk-ins are welcome Monday – Friday; 9am – 3:30pm
WHAT TO BRING TO YOUR APPOINTMENT
1. Picture ID for taxpayer and spouse.
2. Social Security cards or ITIN documentation
for every person on the return.
3. All W-2s, 1099 and any other documentation
of income (retirement, interest, dividend, etc.)
4. All 1098 forms for educational expenses.
5. 1095A form for health insurance purchased
through Covered California.
6. Childcare provider information: name,
address, tax ID# or SSN & phone number,
and the amount paid.
7. Bank account and routing number for
8. Previous year tax return.
(not required, but helpful)
9. Form 13614-C English or Spanish
More about EITC
CalEITC is a cashback tax credit that puts money back into the pockets of California’s working families & individuals. More than 2 million people
claimed the credit in 2019, bringing in over $380 million.
To learn more about the Earned Income Tax Credit, please visit www.caleitc4me.org