Weatherization is a service that is provided to make your home more energy efficient.  CAPK provides assistance to more than 1,000 households on an annual basis.  To qualify, the applicant must reside in Kern County and have a total household income at or below 150 percent of the federal poverty income guidelines.

An applicant must provide copies of the following documentation:

  • Proof of income for every member of the household for the month prior to the application.  Your most current bank statement may be used to show your social security direct deposit.
  • Copy or original of the most recent energy bill.  If you pay gas and electric separately, you must provide both bills.
  • If you are a renter, your property owner or their representative must sign an energy service agreement giving us permission to weatherize the property.  Measures are installed in homes according to the home assessment performed by our Assessors.

An applicant may receive:

  1. Refrigerator replacement; requires an evaluation to see if it qualifies for replacement.
  2. Attic Insulation.
  3. Weatherstripping around doors, installing door shoes and thresholds.
  4. Caulking all doors and windows.
  5. Low-flow shower heads and aerators.
  6. Water heater blankets.
  7. Carbon monoxide detectors.
  8. Safety check of all gas appliances.
  9. Set-back thermostat.
  10. Limited minor home repairs.
  11. Duct testing of FAU heating and cooling systems.
  12. Smoke alarms.

Note: Installations will be contingent upon feasibility.

If you would like to know if you qualify for weatherization assistance, please call (661) 336-5203 x 4324,
or 1-800-988-7771.  Walk-ins are always welcome at our office at 300 19th Street, Bakersfield, CA 93301.