Connect with CalFresh Healthy Living
The 2020-2025 Edition of the Dietary Guidelines is here!
Click here to learn how the Dietary Guidelines for Americans can help you eat healthy, be healthy, and save money!
Market Match is a valuable program that matches federal nutrition benefits (CalFresh Food/ EBT) at participating farmer’s markets, where you can buy locally grown fruits and vegetables for yourself and your family.
Starting in June the F Street Farmer’s Market will be offering Market Match, for more information click here.
Bakersfield, CA 93301
Make Everyday A Healthy Victory
CAPK CalFresh Healthy Living Program will be hosting our “Healthy Victories” statewide day of action.
Make Everyday a Healthy Victory is a statewide movement to inspire Californians to drink water instead of sugary drinks and eat healthy snacks.
Join us to learn about
- Why healthy snacking is important
- Easy everyday snack recipes
- The benefits of drinking water instead of sugary drinks
- Easy fruit or herb-infused water recipes (recipe demonstration)
Register by clicking the link.
Celebrate the season by enjoying fresh fruits and veggies that are in season: watermelon, cherries, summer squash, and beets, just to name a few. Visit our Summer Seasonal Produce Guide to learn more about what is in-season, download materials for teaching, and get low-cost, healthy recipes.
Together we can end the pandemic. Visit the CAPK COVID-19 Information page for information regarding vaccinations, COVID-19 related CAPK program and service updates, and useful links.
USDA’s Food and Nutrition Service has taken to uphold the USDA’s commitment to “Do Right and Feed Everyone” during this national emergency.
- Call 2-1-1 for assistant in Kern County
- Launching a new coronavirus webpage to proactively inform the public about USDA’s efforts to keep children and families fed
- Debuting “Meals for Kids” interactive site finder – to help families find meals for children while schools are closed across more than 38,000 locations.
Community Nutrition Education
- Subscribe to our YouTube CAPKchannel where you will find recordings of our curriculums and other great content.
- Kern County Aging and Adults Services |Older Adults 60 years or greater| Virtual Classes every Friday from 10:30-11:30 am via zoom. Meeting ID 998 7740 9206 Phone Number: 1-669-900-6833
Follow us on Facebook for the lasted updates. For additional questions, please call CAPK CalFresh Healthy Living at 661-439-3838 or email CAPKnutritionEd@capk.org
Get help putting healthy food on the table.
- The CAPK Food Bank appreciates the community feedback received from over 1000 individuals last month. Survey results will be shared soon!
- SNAP online purchasing is currently operational in California. The authorized retailers include Amazon and Walmart. SNAP cardholders can shop online and then pay for their purchase using their EBT card.
- USDA Extends Free Meals for Kids For Entire School Year
USDA is extending flexibilities to allow free meals to continue to be available to all children throughout the entire 2020-2021 school year. This unprecedented move is part of USDA’s unwavering commitment to ensuring all children across America have access to nutritious food as the country recovers from the COVID-19 pandemic.
- SNAP at Farmers Markets
The ability of SNAP participants to use their SNAP benefits at farmers markets can increase SNAP participants’ access to fresh-from-the-farmer foods and increases the customer base and revenues for farmers. At the end of FY2019, more than 3,600 farmers markets and direct marketing farmers accept SNAP benefits.
SNAP participants trying to find the nearest farmers market or direct marketing farmer that accepts SNAP can enter their address into the SNAP retail locator
California’s CalFresh Healthy Living, with funding from the United States Department of Agriculture’s Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program – USDA SNAP, produced this material. These institutions are equal opportunity providers and employers. For important nutrition information, visit www.CalFreshHealthyLiving.org.
CalFresh Healthy Living de California, con fondos del Programa de Asistencia para Nutrición Suplemental (SNAP) del Departamento de Agricultura de los Estados Unidos (USDA), produjo este material. Estas instituciones son proveedores y empleadores que ofrecen oportunidades equitativas. Para obtener información nutricional importante, visite www.CalFreshHealthyLiving.org.