VITA – Volunteer Income Tax Assistance
Each year CAPK’s Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program helps thousands of low- and moderate-income individuals and families prepare and file their income tax returns for free. As a result, millions of tax return dollars that might otherwise go unclaimed come back to Kern County communities, stimulating the local economy.
Since its launch in 2006, when staff and volunteers completed a modest 129 returns for Tax Year 2005, CAPK’s VITA program has grown by an astonishing 3,600% to more than 4,600 returns completed in 2015.
WHAT TO BRING WITH YOU
1. Photo ID and Social Security Card for yourself and your spouse
2. Social Security Card for all dependents claimed on your return
3. All tax documents, W-2, 1099 Misc, 1099 R, Unemployment, Cash income, etc
4. All insurance information for everyone claimed on your return
5. Day care providers name, address, telephone number, and tax ID number, the amount paid
6. Direct deposit information, routing and account numbers
7. Home mortgage, home taxes, charitable contributions, medical deductions, etc
8. Self employed information: income, expenses, etc
9. And any other documents that you think are important to your tax return
10. If married, both spouses must be present