Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP)
The Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP) provides assistance to applicants with their utility bills, including Gas, Propane and Electric. CAPK provides utility assistance to more than 8,000 households on an annual basis. An applicant can only receive this benefit once in a 12-month period. To qualify, the applicant must reside in Kern County, have a total household income at or below 150 percent of the federal poverty income guidelines and have a utility bill with at least 22 days of service. Appointments can be made by calling 2-1-1 or (661) 336-5203.
*Applications are available for download and must be mailed or dropped off at CAPK Energy Program, 300 19th Street, Bakersfield, CA 93301. Propane assistance application must have propane estimate to fill propane tank from propane company submitted with the application.
An applicant must provide copies of the following documentation : Documentation must be current and dated within Six weeks of application date.
1. Current proof of household income:
- Government aided statement – TANF/Cal-Fresh Passport to Services, Social Security, Unemployment, Veterans, Disability, and Educational.
- Earned income – all paystubs received in the last 30 days
- Unearned income – Child support, Spousal support, Adoption/Foster Care assistance
- Self Employed – must have current income tax information
- Pension/Retirement statement
- Certification of income and expenses (43B) – if required per technician.
2. Utility Bill:
- (Gas, Electric, Propane only) Provide all pages of your utility bill and
- Any notices received in the last 30 days. If you have separate gas and electric companies, you must provide both utility bills.
- BILL MUST HAVE AT LEAST 22 BILLING DAYS.
3. Rental Agreement or Mortgage:
4. Proof of Identification Required:
5. Client Education Form: