Get Help Putting Healthy Food on the table. Connect with CalFresh
CAPK CalFresh Healthy Living improves the nutrition health of low-income Californians by providing access to nutrition education, physical activity education, and leadership towards healthy community initiatives.
The CalFresh Healthy Living Program provides educational workshops focused on healthy eating, food and beverage recipes, physical activity, and grocery shopping.
Address: 2323 16th Street Bakersfield, CA 93301
Phone number: (661) 439-3838
Recipe of the Month
Skip the sugar ridden desserts this season, and try this healthy Apple Crisp for the perfect holiday treat!
For more information and other healthy recipes, go to www.eatfresh.org
Ready in: 55 mins.
This dessert will warm you up and make your house smell delicious!
5 Medium apples
¾ cup Light brown sugar packed and divided
½ cup Whole wheat flour divided
½ teaspoon Ground cinnamon
Non-stick cooking spray
2 ounces Unsalted butter cold
1½ cups Quick oats
¼ teaspoon Ground nutmeg (optional)
What You’ll Need
9×9-inch baking dish
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Rinse and cut apples in half, lengthwise. Remove any stems. Cut out center core of apple that contains the
seeds. Do not peel.
3. Place apples cut side down. Use a sharp knife to cut apples into 1/8 – inch slices.
4. In a large bowl, combine sliced apples, ¼ cup of brown sugar, 1 Tablespoon of flour, cinnamon, and
nutmeg, if using. Mix well.
5. Spray baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
6. Pour apple mixture into baking dish. Spread evenly.
7. Dice butter into smaller cubes, using a sharp knife. In a medium bowl, combine remaining brown sugar and
flour, oats, and butter. Mix with hands until crumbly.
8. Spread oat and flour mixture over apple mixture. Bake uncovered on the middle rack of the oven for 40 minutes or
until the top is lightly browned or bubbly.
9. Let sit for 15 – 20 minutes before serving.
Use any apples you like. Or, try a mix of apples for different textures and flavors.
Top with low-fat vanilla frozen yogurt if you like.
Use other fruits, such as peaches, pears, or berries, when in season.
Make half of this recipe to save money!
Nutrition Info and more
12/3/2019 Apple Crisp | EatFresh
Serving size: ⅛
Total calories: 210 Total fat: 6 g Saturated fat: 3 g Carbohydrates: 40 g Protein: 3 g Fiber: 4 g Sodium: <1 mg
California’s CalFresh Healthy Living, with funding from the United States Department of Agriculture’s Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program – USDA SNAP, produced this material. These institutions are equal opportunity providers and employers. For important nutrition information, visit www.CalFreshHealthyLiving.org.
CalFresh Healthy Living de California, con fondos del Programa de Asistencia para Nutrición Suplemental (SNAP) del Departamento de Agricultura de los Estados Unidos (USDA), produjo este material. Estas instituciones son proveedores y empleadores que ofrecen oportunidades equitativas. Para obtener información nutricional importante, visite www.CalFreshHealthyLiving.org.